“Layman P ’ang has been venerated in Asia for well over a thousand years. The title song of Van Morrisons 1990 album, Enlightenment, opens with a refrain about chopping wood and carrying water. Borrowed from one of Layman P’ang s most famous poems, it expresses the Laymans new found spiritual insight in terms of his daily actions.”
“Ordinary mind is the Way.” This is one of the most famous formulations of Chinese Zen. In other words, all of our daily thoughts and deeds, “collecting firewood and carrying water”— without self-entanglement— are the very dharma we seek. No need for exalted states of mind or exalted robes; the “extraordinarily ordinary” is quite enough.
Wednesday Evening Dharma Study
7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
4690 Fruitville Rd, Sarasota, FL 34232
- The doors open at 6:30 pm and the practice session begins promptly at 7:00 pm with the chanting of the Heart Sutra. We then sit in zazen for twenty-five minutes. We serve tea and study the teachings of the great Zen teachers using various references and commentaries. We finish up by 8:30 pm.
- No experience is necessary and all are welcome. A donation is not required to participate, however, a voluntary donation (suggested $5.00+) will help defray our costs.
- Wear comfortable loose-fitting clothing. We have some cushions (zafus) and chairs, however, if you have your own zafu, we encourage you to bring your own. We recommend you arrive at least 15 minutes early if you need meditation instruction.
- See the calendar on the website for any cancellations or changes to the schedule.
- RSVP is recommended: email@example.com or TXT: 941 228 4511.